Wednesday 6 August 2014

Mirror mirror on the wall...

Location: London

'You are so used to your features, you don't know how beautiful you look to a stranger'

I saw this and used it as my Facebook status yesterday, it really appealed to me, I guess after reading over it a few times, I saw its depth, 

Who ever really thinks about things like that?
I started to get curious (which is a usual thing for me) and I thought, how cool would it be if something was designed so that you could see how other people perceive you? In relationships when people say to their other halves "you're beautiful" or "if only you could see yourself the way I see you" etc their other half will smile, or feel warm inside for awhile, until they go back to not liking something about themselves.

Imagine having a partner and children, and you could see the way they see you, I've always wondered, when I look in the mirror, is what I see, what others see?

You're so used to seeing yourself everyday, when you're brushing your teeth, washing your face, fixing your hair, applying makeup etc you've seen and touched every spot, discolouration, wart, you've thought to yourself that one of your features is too small, too big, too wide, too narrow etc and you're constantly judging yourself, to the point it becomes second nature, subconscious, but only you are very aware of all of these "issues" other people are not, the very thing you hate could be the very thing someone else loves.

Take me for example, I've scrutinised my nose, yet I've had friends call it cute, like a button nose, 
I've always thought my lips were too big or as a kid my eyes were to huge, yet those two are apparently my best features as they are the two i'm always complemented on, it's just so strange how it works, 
Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder, and I would love to look through those eyes....

I have this memory, where i'm brushing my hair in the mirror, and my boyfriend at the time comes up behind me, looks at me in the mirror and says "you're beautiful" and I instantly pull a face, and then remember to smile, how I wish then and there I could have seen what he saw...

I was having this discussion on the phone yesterday night and I mentioned how sometimes I wish my mum hadn't taken me to boots and got them to do my makeup and then proceeded to buy me the products, because I was comfortable in my skin back then, now I feel ugly without it, I wonder how I look without makeup to other people, do they pull a face and think "oh wow, she's not that attractive" or do they even notice?  The reply I got back was "you look the same to me with or without makeup on, the only difference is when you're wearing lipstick, then your lips are purple, pink or red, you're still pretty without makeup" again, I wished then and there I could see myself the way they do, to see if there really is as huge difference as I think there is when i'm wearing or not wearing makeup, or if there's only a slight difference when perceived by other people.

I watched this video the other day, one of those 'Dove - Real Beauty' videos (why don't they show them on TV over here??) it was of a Forensic sketch artist, he got people to describe themselves and he would draw them (he couldn't see them, only hear them), he then got a stranger to describe them, so by the end of it he had two pictures per person, one they described themselves and the other someone else described and it was crazy to see how different they were, how we criticise ourselves so harshly.





You are so used to your features, you don't know how beautiful you look to a stranger


No comments:

Post a Comment